[lug] More LaTeX samples?

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Mon Sep 24 16:41:10 MDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 04:32:48PM -0600, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> In particular, it looks like they are using SGML as their underlying
> document format.  So, my comments about the text being converted to some
> markup language somewhat related to LaTeX seems to still be true.

<minor quibble and clarificateion>
SGML is related to LaTeX only in that they are both markup languages.
They were invented independently (Goldfarb and Knuth), and they serve
different purposes (electronic document interchange, typesetting).

It is possible to write a translator from SGML to LaTeX. SGML-tools,
for example, contains one. XML (which is an instance of an SGML language)
often has translators to many different output formats including LaTeX.
I don't know of any offhand that would go from LaTeX to SGML. The information
one would need to know to create an SGML document may not be in the
LaTeX.
</quibble>

Evelyn 'nit-picky' Mitchell
efm at tummy.com