[lug] Virus Solution needed

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Sep 25 18:17:04 MDT 2001

I have been using McAfee Virus Scan on 10 workstations with really excellent
results.

If you buy the corporate edition, the scheduler will come with pre-defined
tasks for downloading updates to the program and to the dat files. You can
also specify a location where the workstations should look for a local copy
of the updated dat files. The corporate edition is sold directly by NAI and
is done on a two year basis. IIRC, 10 nodes are around $400. I assume 150
nodes would be less on a per-node basis.

While its not push, you can just schedule the machines to update every day
from the shared directory.

I am also using AMaVis (http://www.amavis.org) to scan messages coming into
Sendmail on a Linux server. McAfee has a version of Virus Scan for Linux and
has had for at least a couple of years now. Every message that is received
by the mail server is scanned for viruses.

I have written a pretty slick shell script that connects to McAfee (NAI) and
downloads updated Dat files.

To summarize how this system works:

Server checks for Dat updates twice a day and downloads them. It unzips the
DATS into the /usr/local/uvscan dir where the mail scanner can use them and
it copies the dat file out to a read-only share where workstations are
configured to look for them.

Workstations are configured to look at a Samba share for an updated DAT file
and if they find it, they transparently apply it. This happens each day.

Inbound Email is scanned using AMaVis and McAfee Virus Scan for Linux.

A cron job on the Samba server scans the /home directory on a nightly basis
on the off chance that something gets through.

In the two years or so I have been using AMaVis it has stopped literally
hundreds of viruses.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585