[lug] Netscape Crash Trace

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Sep 25 19:28:12 MDT 2001

John Karns wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, D. Stimits said:
>
> > The brk function is for kernel side memory allocation. So it probably
> > died trying to allocate memory. I'm curious how much ram this system
> > has, and whether it uses HIMEM patches? Btw, the Linux version of NS
> > does generate Bus error on good hardware at times.
>
> I remember having this problem with early Linux NS versions - like early
> 3.x.  In those days there was some kind of conflict with the gcc shared
> libraries, as I recall.  Although I don't tend to leave the browser up for
> periods of time longer than about two hours, at times I have up to 10 or
> so instances of NS going (version 4.76).  It's been pretty stable for my
> purposes - I don't remember the last time I had it crash on me or give me
> a bus error.
>
> Perhaps it is related to the library versions in your distro?

The newer versions seem to die less than older ones, but it still
happens. I think if someone wanted to test the theory of lib problems, a
version compiled directly on the system using it would be useful. A full
source download is probably a big one. In any case, if the version of NS
is old, a new one would be a good idea. I have not yet tried it, but
Alan Cox and some other people on the kernel devel list have said they
like the newest incarnation of Mozilla, the one that is equivalent to
the NS 6.1 version (the comment though was that actual NS 6 wasn't very
stable, it was the Mozilla version they referred to as being more stable
and avoids bus error).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com