[lug] Netra X1

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 26 10:29:10 MDT 2001

If it's Solaris exposure you're after (and not necessarily SPARC), go for Solaris x86 and save a few euros on hardware.

To the best of my knowledge, the Blade 1000 is a very useable workstation, but I only have second-hand information.  The appropriate amount of RAM depends on the applications you run, of course.

-John

Kyle Moore wrote:

> I actually was thinking of one so I can have a Solaris box. I use HP-UX
> every day and would like to get more exposure to Solaris. And since I
> can't afford a Sun 15K (or a zSeries 900) I guess this is good enough.
>
> I sort of up in the air between the Netra X1 and the Blade 1000 since they
> are the same price. I don't have a specific use in mind but the main
> reason I was leaning towards the Netra is I didn't think the Blade would
> be all that great of a workstation. I don't know the SPARC at all. Would
> this thing be a usable workstation with 128MB of RAM and that processor?
>
> --
> Kyle Moore

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |