[lug] Netra X1

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Sep 26 12:46:23 MDT 2001

I believe the 1000 was a typo and Kyle was talking about the Sun Blade 100.  I
am using one  of those for CFD number crunching.  To my surprise this little
beast (SparcIIe, 500MHz) works only 30% slower than a 1.5 GHz Intel system (with
more RAM and a high end SCSI disk), running identical code.  I have 1.25GB of
RAM in my blade and a faster hard drive (Maxtor 60 GB).

Side note: The sun only uses 40W electrical power where my comparable Intel box
runs at close to 150W!

I am running Solaris 8 and didn't have success running Linux on it.  I hear some
folks got Debian running on it but - I need solaris for my CFD code anyway.

You can probably gather that I am pretty happy with this low end Sun.

Hope this helps,
Ferdinand

John Hernandez wrote:

> If it's Solaris exposure you're after (and not necessarily SPARC), go for Solaris x86 and save a few euros on hardware.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the Blade 1000 is a very useable workstation, but I only have second-hand information.  The appropriate amount of RAM depends on the applications you run, of course.
>
> -John
>
> Kyle Moore wrote:
>
>>I actually was thinking of one so I can have a Solaris box. I use HP-UX
>>every day and would like to get more exposure to Solaris. And since I
>>can't afford a Sun 15K (or a zSeries 900) I guess this is good enough.
>>
>>I sort of up in the air between the Netra X1 and the Blade 1000 since they
>>are the same price. I don't have a specific use in mind but the main
>>reason I was leaning towards the Netra is I didn't think the Blade would
>>be all that great of a workstation. I don't know the SPARC at all. Would
>>this thing be a usable workstation with 128MB of RAM and that processor?
>>
>>--
>>Kyle Moore

Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com