[lug] How to Recognize Big Drive?

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Mon Oct 1 09:50:13 MDT 2001

You may be able to gain access to the entire disk under Linux by forcing
fdisk to use the specific geometry you mention below. Note the use of the
word "may". This does not work in all cases.

Under fdisk, you need to choose "x" for "extra functionality" (or "expert
mode"), and from there you can set the cylinders, heads and sectors. You
will need to delete the existing partitions, then change the geometry
settings, then repartition. Write the changes and reboot using your Red Hat
7.1 install disk.

When you do this, you may also have to set the disk geometry in LILO. (See
the User Guide.) In that case, you will not gain full access to the disk
until after Linux is installed, /etc/lilo.conf is modified, the new LILO
configuration is installed, and the box is rebooted.

This is old IDE BIOS size limitation issue is a PITA. Consider upgrading
your motherboard. Your sanity is worth the extra money.