[lug] qmail alias for forwarding to alternating mboxes

fschmid at archenergy.com fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Oct 3 14:01:10 MDT 2001

Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> Before I try to write something on my own, I thought I'd check for an
> existing option.
>
> I need a tool which can be used as a qmail aliases command to forward
> incoming messages to one recipient on to a set of multiple recipients.  I
> need the messages to be serialized, so that the total incoming messages are
> evenly distributed between the mailboxes.  So, for example, messages 1 and
> 5 go to mailbox 1, messages 2 and 6 go to mailbox 2, messages 3 and 7 got
> to mailbox 3, messages 4 and 8 go to mailbox 4, ad infinitum.
>
> Anyone seen anything like this floating around?  I figure there's probably
> a perl script out there that does something like it.
>
> BTW - I'm assuming qmail has an aliases option similar to sendmail's
> aliases file.  I just haven't checked yet.  Slap me lightly if it doesn't
> have such a thing.

Every user can create aliases themselves in their home directory for
qmail.  Eg. User mike can create an alias mike-friends by creating an
appropriate .qmail-mike-friends file in their home dir (and typing the
distribution addresses into this file).
You also have the system aliases, which are kept in an alias directory
under the qmail dir.

Don't know of existing scripts for the above task but it doesn't seem
difficult.

Ferdinand