[lug] samba name resolution issues

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Wed Oct 3 15:30:21 MDT 2001

I can't remember if I have written about this or not.

I have a machine that is doing samba for a small network of machines, it is
also acting as mail server, web server and gateway.  The system is
multi-homed and works like a champ as long as the external interface has a
good connection.  If the DSL service goes down on the external interface
then access to the samba shares dies from the internal side.  I'm a bit
baffled.  It seems to be a name resolution issue.  I'd rather not start
using named on the internal interface because it always seems to have
security problems.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Here's most of the smb.conf file

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = Samba Server
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.1
        bind interfaces only = yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -s /bin/false -g popusers -c
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = no