[lug] Silly Question

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Thu Oct 4 09:49:49 MDT 2001

The really short answer is NFS.

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/index.html

A longer answer, One machine (the one with the disk) acts as the server.
It needs to start nfs, "/etc/init.d/nfs start" and have an export list
that looks like:

/share/music       *.my-domain.com(rw)
/share/games       *.my-domain.com(rw)
/share/toys        *.my-domain.com(rw)
/share/stuff       *.my-domain.com(rw)

This lise needs to be exported using exportfs ( man exportfs ).

The client machine needs to have a mount list in /etc/fstab with lines
like:

host.my-domain.com:/share/music     /mp/music    nfs
exec,dev,suid,rw,bg 1 1

Then mount everything on the client with 'mount -a'.

All of this should be carefully hidden behind a firewall because NFS
mounting
is very insecure.  I've probably left out a bunch of stuff.  If the
HOWTO
doesn't help, I'm happy to anwer other questions.

Scott