[lug] e-mail etiquette

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Thu Oct 4 10:35:32 MDT 2001

1. It is "email". See Donald Knuth's home page for the reason why.

2. If you are responding to the entire message in one go, then above is
easier to read. If you are responding to specific points in a message,
embedded is the custom (though some MUA, most notably Outlook, make this
very difficult and even less legible). All below is the worst. Some would
say that the responder should elide the irrelevant portions of the original
message, but those that do frequently end up ripping out important sections
that make long threads quite frustrating to both participate in or follow.

3. There is none. Some MUAs I've used put in two dashes, some don't.

4. It is "web site" (IMHO).