[lug] Silly Question

Holshouser, David dholshou at ball.com
Thu Oct 4 10:42:11 MDT 2001

You asked for details. I hope the ascii art comes across ok.

The way my network stands now, I have a linux box acting as web, NAT, samba,

firewall, user space, on a network not under my direct control.
It is hosting my domain and I want to move it to my place once I get a fat
pipe.

 /--\__/--\   _______   _______       /----win
/Internet /---|cable|---|linux|---hub+-----mac
\---\__/--    |modem|   | box |       \----win

That box will move closer to me and I will set up Sprint wireless.
I want to offer my brother and his wife (both inexperienced) the
same transparancy that they have now to use their web/file/network
storage space as before without relocating their user space to the
new gateway machine I'll build for their network.

 /--\__/--\   _______   _______       /----win
/         /---|cable|---|linux|---hub+-----mac  Brother's Network
\  sNFS* |    |modem|   | box |       \----win
 | across|
/         /---| Sprint |---|linux|---hub+-----lin      My Network
\---\__/--    |Wireless|   | box |      |...
                                        |-----lin

* sNFS alludes to my hopes of a secure NFS.

So I want to mount his box to my local /home (as well as say, /mp3) so that
we can be VPN'd in a way. Is VPN a solution? How secure? How difficult?