[lug] e-mail etiquette

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Oct 4 10:43:07 MDT 2001

Thus spoke Kyle Moore
> 1. Is it email or e-mail?

Its spelled "s-p-a-m".  :-)

> 2. When quoting the original message in a reply is it correct to put your
> message above or below this quoted content?

I always do below, and intermixed.  Though with my MS friends that usually
requires a bunch of editing under elm.  *sigh*

> 3. What is the appropriate signature identifier? I understand that some
> systems use "---" as an identifier that what comes next is the signature.

Unknown, but elm puts in "--".  I think these can be turned on or off
though you can't set what delimiter to use. The option says "(Usenet
compatibility and convention)", which suggests two dashes are a convention.

> ### Not completely related ###
> 4. Is it web site, website or web-site?

I've been told in the past that it's "Web site".  "Web" is supposed to be
capitalized, though you couldn't tell that from online Web site authors.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com