[lug] SuSE and masquerading with ppp

Chuck Morrison cmorrison at greeleynet.com
Thu Oct 4 07:12:48 MDT 2001

I have a bit of a problem with a SuSE 7.2 (pro) installation. I'm using this
machine as a gateway for my local LAN using ppp for the connection to the
outside world. I can get it to work just fine, but I have to do it in two
steps.

1) connect to the ISP (I'm using wvdial)
2) reset the firewall settings, route and /proc/sys/net/ip_forward

When the ppp session dies and I restart it, I also have to reset the firewall
and ip_forward flag. I do this with a script, so it's no big deal, but it is
a hassle since my connection tends to be crappy (rural phone lines).

So any SuSE experts out there know how to set this up to just automatically
do the masquerading and forwarding ? Everything looks like it's set up right
in yast2. I haven't messed with the rc scripts directly yet. I was kind of
wondering how it was supposed to work with all that easy gui stuff.