[lug] e-mail etiquette

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Thu Oct 4 14:04:02 MDT 2001

I usually put the reply below, and so should everyone else (:>).
Here's why.

1.  I read messages by thread.  When moving from one message to the
    next I know what was just said and I don't need to be annoyed by
    it again.  This is especially true when the quotes start stacking
    up.  All that stuff is reference; an appendix.  Sometimes it
    is okay to put one or two quoted lines at the top to provide
    context.

2.  The best way is the "mixed" response, but this is the worst way, too.
    It is the best way when you want to give step-by-step instructions
    compose messages (i.e., pleas for help) so they can be responded
    to in this way (say by putting stuff into numbered paragraphs).

    This is the worst way, too, because I use it when
    I am replying to a Compleat Idiot and I have a need to show him
    Point by Point where he has gone Completely Wrong.  Reading one is
    like hearing a high school debate that has degenerated
    into one-liners.  It discourages composition.

    Another disadvantage is that it encourages people to try to
    maintain what should be several threads in one thread.  Like my
    saying here:  How the heck do you change the major mode of an
    Emacs buffer while you are in it?

3.  When I read messages I want to have the new content on the top
    where I can read it immediately.  I do not want to search for it.
    Life is short.

Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~gmurray/public_html/Welcome.html