[lug] sambas up

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 5 15:33:14 MDT 2001

It's probably a problem with encrypted passwords.  Read the man page for smbpasswd and ENCRYPTION.txt from the source tarball.

Here's what Winson Belle said about this:

Configuring SAMBA to receive encrypted passwords from WinNT or Win2K depends
on the version of SAMBA you have. Later versions of SAMBA use a local
'smbpasswd' file to authenticate encrypted passwords.

However, to disable encrypted passwords in Win2K do the following:

In Admin Tools, click 'Local Security Policy'

On the 'Security Setting' folder select 'Local Policies' then select
'Security Options'.

Here you can double click 'Send unencrypted passwords to third-party SMB
Servers'. Enable the option.

This maintains encrypted passwords to Windows based systems, whilst sending
unencrypted to SAMBA. However, it might be better to install a later version
of SAMBA that accepts encrypted passwords to strengthen network security.

--

Cheers,
John

--

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |