[lug] mixing linux/win cvs/ssh

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Oct 7 13:44:47 MDT 2001

Glenn Murray wrote:

> I know of no way to use ssh without placing keys, perhaps someone else
> can help.

I was thinking of password logins. I.E., it asks for a password based on
the regular user account name/pass, since no keys (or at least matching)
exist.

> I have seen the "stdin: is not a tty" message a lot, too, but I have
> no idea what it means.

I get this even with a direct ssh login. Perhaps because remote logins
are pty (pseudo terminal) rather than regular tty. This would also mean
an X11 login locally should do so. I've never had a problem with it, at
least not with anything I know of. I have found that if the login script
for the login shell, maybe a welcome message, will break scp and
possibly other ssh applications. On the other hand, I thought it might
offer a clue, despite my not knowing of a specific case where "is not a
tty" causes failure.

> Thanks for the compliment though, perhaps I'll get motivated to update
> the page.

It is useful, especially because it brings together information.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com