[lug] meeting space?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Oct 7 14:11:51 MDT 2001

Michael Deck wrote:

> The Boulder Chapter of the ACM has been having meetings at CU Engineering
> for years. We pay $15-$20 (depending on size) and we just give them a size
> range and they tell us what classroom. I don't know if it's easier for us
> because we have a corporate identity and a checking account, and can be
> billed for the cost. LUG might have to pay up front. ColoSPIN reserves in
> ACM's name and then passes the hat at the end to reimburse. We always make
> enough to cover the cookies :)

If it is a student event, I doubt they charge anything, such as if a
student chapter of BLUG is used. Maybe if it is a student getting the
reservation, even without it being for a student group.

> Our last meeting drew twice the expected audience and we were able to find
> another empty room and move to it with no hassle.
>
> One restriction: no food. They want you to use CU Catering :) Rules may be
> different in the Biz school, I know that BJUG used to have pizza but I
> don't know what their arrangement was with CU.

About the only meetings I've been to were school honor societies and
general student affairs, never from non-CU activities. Among those
activities though, they've often had things like cookies or pizza. This
was several years back though, so possibly it has changed. One thing is
that some of the rooms are marked as "no food", without regard to who it
is, student or other. I doubt anyone would complain if no food is served
anyway, last I knew of, nobody brought food to NIST meetings either.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com