[lug] linuxconf and sendmail config

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Oct 8 18:52:04 MDT 2001

dan radom wrote:

> that's correct...but don't you want to know that it isn't relaying?  dropping the backets is good, but i would be curious to see if it's relaying atill.

With port 25 opened up, without restriction from source, I can telnet
from localhost and do the relay, that is intended; if I telnet from
anywhere else, it summarily drops the connect, even without firewall. So
I suppose I don't know that it doesn't relay from outside, and the
/etc/mail/ configurations only show local relay, but if everything from
outside is simply dropped outright, even without firewall, I'm pleased.
Then add the firewall on top. But it may have been more informative if a
connection had been allowed, then it said that relay was denied, it
would have possibly been even more informative. It would take more
effort to try and force port 25 to accept outside connects, but I didn't
take it that far.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com