[lug] Remote Backup util

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.net
Tue Oct 9 07:21:07 MDT 2001

> Yeah, but make sure you have absolutely the latest SSH and rsync bits.

We're using rsync 2.4.1 for hourly syncs between computers over ssh and
it works great.

> The bigger problem being: how do you do incremental backups using rsync.
> rsync will dutifully delete that file that somone removed last night before
> leaving from your backup copy.

You can control the mode with '--delete'. The default is to just "add" not
delete.  I'm actually not sure what you want here.

I'm not saying rsync is the right answer for backups, but it is sure handy
for mirroring.

Rob