[lug] PCMCIA Boot Disk Driver

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Oct 9 09:20:55 MDT 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 03:05:07PM -0600, Dan Kuester wrote:
>
>>I get (or make, if necessary) a boot disk to allow me to boot with the
>>proper drivers so that I can install over my network?
>>

> I don't know, but one thing to consider, if all else fails, is...  They
> make these adapters that let you plug in a notebook hard drive to a regular
> IDE cable...  Load Linux on another box and move the hard drive back over.
> Or, alternatively, copy the data to a partition on the IDE hard drive, and
> install directly from there.  The installer has an option for doing that...
>
> I did expactly this when I got my latest laptop.  You see, it didn't come
> with a floppy or CD drive.  You have to get this docking-station to get
> either one...

... or you get a USB floppy (for $99).  Then you can boot from floppy for less
than the cost of a docking station.  But I still can't understand what IBM was
thinking when they decided that their X20 series laptops didn't need a serial or
parallel port!  Again you are back to USB adapters - what a pain!

--
Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com