[lug] cvs question

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Oct 9 14:17:09 MDT 2001

Chris Wade wrote:

> So I've got a development tree that was branched in cvs a while back, the
> intention was to use the branch for bugfixes to a certain release and to
> continue devlopment on the main trunk.  However, what happened was that the
> trunk version of my code went through some sweeping changes and then got
> abandoned, while main development continued for a couple of months on the
> branch.  At this point I am way past the point of being able to successfully
> merge all of the files back into the trunk, so I am wondering if anyone
> knows of a quick and easy way to split off the current trunk version into a
> separate branch in case I ever get back to it, and re-assign all of the
> branch files to the trunk?
>
> There are a lot of files here... I can do them all one-by-one, but I'm
> hoping there's a more elegant way.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

Whatever your answer is, you can easily do a recursive copy (e.g., cp
-adpr) of the existing cvs root and lock directories to some temp
location, do a new checkout of a temp working copy somewhere, and test
on that without risking the main cvs repository (cvs -d
/some/temp/location). When you know what works, run it with the real
repository.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com