[lug] cvs question

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 14:45:00 MDT 2001

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Wade <cwade at veripost.net> writes:

Chris> At this point I am way past the point of being able to
Chris> successfully merge all of the files back into the trunk, so I
Chris> am wondering if anyone knows of a quick and easy way to split
Chris> off the current trunk version into a separate branch in case I
Chris> ever get back to it, and re-assign all of the branch files to
Chris> the trunk?

Here is the simplest approach (imo).  I assume you know how to use cvs
generally.

1. Make a new tag on the trunk.  This tag will serve as a branchpoint
   if you ever decide you want to go back to your old massively-hacked
   trunk version.  Don't make a branch tag (or if you do make sure you
   also make a separate branchpoint tag).

2. Check out your branch and the trunk.  Copy all the files (avoiding
   the CVS directories, of course) from the branch working directory
   to the trunk working directory.  If the trunk has a file not on the
   branch, `cvs rm' it.  If the branch has a file not on the trunk
   `cvs add' it.

3. `cvs commit' on the trunk.  Voila.

Step 2 is easy to do with a simple bash script.

Tom