[lug] error trying to add new drive

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Wed Oct 10 14:32:48 MDT 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to add a new IDE drive at /dev/hdc.  I ran fdisk
and created one ext2 linux extended file system from block 1
of size 500M and a linux swap partition of from the end of the
first one of size 128M.  fdisk appeared to have finished happily.

I ran "mkswap /dev/hdc2" successfully followed by "swapon /dev/hdc2".

Next I tried to run "mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdc1".  I get an error that
basically says, "Not enough space to build proposed filesystem".

All tools are in RH7.1 distro.  The existing boot drive is 90% full
with 30M of swap.  The machine has 64M of RAM.

Can someone suggest what might be wrong or something else to try?

Thanks,

Scott