[lug] red hat dialer

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Oct 10 15:09:27 MDT 2001

dan radom wrote:

> xterm -fg white -bg black -n wvdial -T wvdial -e sudo wvdial
>
> the above is from my blackbox menu file.  it works just fine...
>
> -rw-------    1 root     root          273 Oct  2 16:48 /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> lastly from sudoers...
>
> graffix ALL=NOPASSWD : /usr/bin/wvdial

This last line is what I'd never done correctly. It now works. In a more
comic and cosmic setting, I then needed a way to drop the modem.
Normally I just use an alias as root for "killall -HUP wvdial" (it runs
in the background). I found that even if I added sudo ability for
killall -9 wvdial, it still wouldn't hang up. It managed to kill wvdial,
but pppd was still going, and ppp0 was still up. Eventually I got
ifconfig ppp0 down to drop the interface...still the phone was
connected. Then killall -9 worked on pppd to get the line down. Somehow
there is a sense of comedy that once sudo works, it's hard to stop
wvdial without becoming root, or using many commands.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com