[lug] Wireless lan on KRUD?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Oct 11 10:59:34 MDT 2001

>>>>> "Elyse" == Elyse Grasso <emgrasso at data-raptors.com> writes:

Elyse> I'm now setting up Linux at work (yay).  Our training lab will
Elyse> contain 11 Dell 2500 laptops dual-booting KRUD and Win2K. We're
Elyse> using Linksys PCMCIA wireless cards.

cool. ;)

Wireless is great.

Elyse> I have grabbed the source for the WLAN drivers (and the
Elyse> pcmcia-cs source) from the web, but I'm seeing some odd
Elyse> symptoms when I try to do the 'make'.

which WLAN drivers? WLAN-ng?

Elyse> (Very frustrating after setting up to build the ALSA sound
Elyse> drivers went so smoothly yesterday.)

Elyse> Has anyone built the WLAN drivers successfully against a recent
Elyse> version of RedHat or KRUD?

Well, first of all, the cards should just work fine with the stock
kernel and pcmcia installed. ;) (unless you have a really old version
of krud).

If for some reason you have upgraded the kernel, they should work fine
with the in kernel pcmcia wireless with one tweak:

You have to find the entry for your cards in /etc/pcmcia/config and
change the driver to use the 'orinoco_cs.o' driver instead of the
'wlan_cs' driver. Or at least I have to do that with my orinoco
cards...

I had nothing but grief using the wlan-ng drivers. They are old and
buggy and nasty. ;) The in-kernel ones work great.

Elyse> Thanks

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi