[lug] Software Projects as well....

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 14:09:06 MDT 2001

>>>>> "Scott" == Scott A Herod <herod at interact-tv.com> writes:

Scott> The code and design of these projects make me cringe in horror.
Scott> ( So does perl but that's a separate issue. )  Are these things the
Scott> future of software development or an aberration?

Quality varies in free software too.

There is plenty of ugly code to be seen.  Last time I looked at the
perl source, it certainly qualified.  But then so does libbfd, other
parts of gdb, parts of gcc, etc.

At the high end is something like Tcl.  The Tcl source is really quite
excellent.  It's worth looking at even if you dislike Tcl itself.

In the end I think the differences come down to the maintainers and
the culture surrounding the particular project.

Tom