[lug] Software Projects as well....

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.net
Fri Oct 12 16:48:08 MDT 2001

> In the end I think the differences come down to the maintainers and
> the culture surrounding the particular project.

I agree.  I'm continually amazed at the way people discuss programming
languages and environments.  It is as if the tools make the program.
Software is a culturally intensive artifact.  If the culture stinks,
so does what it produces.

The classical example is what Dennis Ritchie said about his Unix work.
If he had to do it all over again, he would name "creat", "create".
The idea of missing letters for no apparent reason permeates Unix and
C culture much to its detriment.

Rob