[lug] X over ssh

Ken Weinert kenw at ihs.com
Sat Oct 13 09:10:47 MDT 2001

I apologize in advance, but I've forgotten who I talked with at the
meeting Thursday night, but I thought I'd let everyone know I got my X
over ssh problem solved.

The setup is this: I want to start X apps on my work machine so they
show up at home. Since my work machine is behind a firewall, no direct
connection is possible.

There is a "portal" machine with sshd set up on it. As it was
originally set up it only allowed rlogin and telnet
commands. Yesterday the admin added the ssh program.

now I can do this:

home: xhost +my.work.ip.address
home: ssh access_machine

access_machine: ssh work_machine

work_machine: declare -x DISPLAY=home:0
work_machine: x_program

and it shows up on my home box with no problem.

I understand that xauth is better than xhost, but since I'm
ssh-tunneled from end-to-end, is this a big concern?

I do know that if I don't do the xhost on my home machine my work
machince doesn't have permission to open the display. And (which now
makes sense) if I just telnet/rlogin to my work machine from the
access machine I don't get X pushed through either.

--
Ken Weinert   kenw at ihs.com 303-858-6956 (V) 303-705-4258 (F)
GnuPG KeyID: 9274F1CE           GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/