[lug] telnetd problem

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Oct 15 00:48:10 MDT 2001

Chris Wade wrote:

> > It might not be an error, but since the identd daemon should
> > be sending:
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> >
> > A proper termination to a session would be something similar to:
> > 0 , 0 : ERROR : UNKNOWN-ERROR
>
> Sorry, forgot to mention that I do receive these messages when I go in
> through a shell from work, followed by 'Connection closed by foreign host.'
> >From SecureCRT on the laptop, I don't get 'Connected to...', 'Escape
> character is...' or 'Connection closed by...' but I think that's normal.  I
> do get the error message though, right before I'm disconnected.  On dos I
> just get nothing but a cursor, then when I type (no echo) and hit return I
> get disconnected: 'Connection to host lost.'

Nope, the connection portion is tcp/ip, not identd. auth may not matter,
but if it does, these are failure cases for auth.

> > daemon. Assuming
> > you are using RH, run as root first a status check:
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/identd status
> >
> > Assuming it is running, then stop it temporarily:
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/identd stop
> >
> > Try your successful version again. If it fails to allow you in, you
>
> Using SuSE.  Found identd, did this, I was still let in from work.  In fact,
> same results all around.
> (I'm actually telnetting using securecrt, no SSH.  Should have clarified.)

Next wold be to see if you can shut off identd from work. I have no idea
how to do this on the windows side...it is a mystery how to turn auth on
or off. It may be more trouble than it is worth to figure out how to
toggle windows' versio of auth, although you could simulate it by
blocking port 113.

> > that the client end responds to identd requests. So also try the
> > reverse, though I'm not certain it will be any more than a subjective
> > clue: from the linux box, telnet to port 113 of the
> > connecting sources,
> > see if things work or fail as before.
>
> Since the machine at work is behind a firewall, I can't telnet into it from
> outside.  No telnet daemon on the Windows box, either... any good ones out
> there? :)
>
> I suspect that if I took this laptop to work and tried to connect to home
> from there, it would work fine.  Maybe I'll take it to work tomorrow and
> test this.

It seems that the firewalled end works, but local doesn't, so I doubt
even more that it is an auth problem...unless the firewall allows 113
but your local net doesn't. Wish I had more to suggest. You can turn up
debugging levels on most ssh clients though.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com