Allmost OT: Re: [lug] telnetd problem

Faster-Laster jason at fasterlaster.com
Mon Oct 15 09:37:54 MDT 2001

I can't stress enough how you should just let telnetd go. it's insecure.
it doesn't matter if you are leaning things or not. ssh will allow you
to do the same things as telnet but with a more secure connection. the
security risk is still there if your box is behind a firewall, it
doesn't matter. you password/username will still go over the wires as
plain text.

Do note that i am not saying not to use the telnet client. it allows you
to connect to pop3 servers, smtp server & the like to see exactly what
they are doing. this will help teach you somethings about the backend of
things. do yourself a favor & go ssh. all distros have a painless way to
install.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:25:41AM -0600, Chris Wade wrote:
> Yeah, I should probably switch to SSh at some point, it's just an
> interesting problem at the moment (because I have a workaround).  There's
> nothing on there that I would worry about security issues over.  This is
> just one of the many steps toward understanding how this whole networking
> thing works.
>
> Once I get the other machines behind the linux box (using it as a firewall),
> there should be no problem with telnet.  Correct?
>
> Chris

| Microsoft does write "free" software.  Not free as in "free beer" or |
| "free speech", but "Free Tibet". -- Milan Svoboda in linux at linux.cz  |