[lug] Mailman (Exim? uid?) problem

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Mon Oct 15 13:40:01 MDT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Glenn Murray wrote:

> I'm trying to install/run the mailing list archiver Mailman and it
> won't confirm a subscription request---it will send the message asking
> for confirmation, but not acknowledge the reply.  I am using the stock
> Debian download and trying to figure out what to do from the online
> docs.  Unfortunately those docs are for build-from-scratch and I can't
> find a README_DEBIAN.  Anyway, the only thing I can seem to find is:
>
> # tail /var/log/exim/mainlog
> 2001-10-12 15:24:06 15s9mo-0001Yp-00 Neither the system_aliases
> director nor the address_pipe transport set a uid for local delivery
> of |/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd workbench

Don't remember if you got an answer to this or not?

Anyway, the times I've had similar problems I believe it was caused by
improper aliasing.  My brief experience trying to use mailman with exim
indicated that setting up the correct aliases, although certainly not
impossible, was different than what I was used to using sendmail.  I ended
up switching to postfix and had better luck.  The "best" help I found was
I believe in the exim FAQ.  I tinkered with this for about an hour, but
never pursued it enough to make it work.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)