[lug] Searching Mailman Archives

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.net
Mon Oct 15 15:24:39 MDT 2001

> Ideally I need a really cool way to setup a virtual project space.

Interestingly, I literally just got off the phone with someone who
wants something similar.  We're going to do a groupware project.  It
probably will open sourced.  I'll keep you posted.

> Ideally this would be more dynamic.  Project members should ideally be able
> to provide information themselves without having to go through the web
> master (Zope?).

I'm not a big fan of Zope.    I think there are a lot of websites out
there which provide groupware.  The problem is that they aren't extensible
and Zope is.  If you go to my site http://www.bivio.com you get a message
board, file sharing, and partnership accounting (I'm sure you need this part).
I do like Wiki.  We'll be building Wiki into bOP soon.  It's a great way to
communicate within a project, I think.

We actually have a number of users who just use bivio for the message board
and file sharing capabilities.  What's nice about bivio is that the files
area is  browsable.  If you upload a webpage and its images, it renders
properly.  The files area is searchable.  It understands PDFs, word docs,
and the like.

The question is if you want to host your website yourself if you want to
use a service like bivio.

> One problem of course is that the project members shouldn't necessarily
> be required to use any specific brand of software or OS.  That implies
> that we'd need some sort of interoperability standards - XML maybe?

I don't think XML buys you what you want.  We work in a Linux/Windows
environment.  The biz people have Windows and developers have both.  The
file sharing works fine.  We use bivio for our virtual project areas.
It is easy to switch between projects and it isn't framed, so you can
bookmark the parts you need to get to quickly.

Sorry for the sales pitch, but what I'm selling is free so I figure it's
ok. :-)

Rob