[lug] java class path for gcc-java

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Oct 15 23:03:15 MDT 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Damn browser crashed while replying, here I go again.
>
> There are apparently two versions on my system, the one I tried was due
> to finding the files you named below, the IBM version, at
> /opt/IBMJava2-13/.
>
> I also found one listed in Tom Tromey's reply:
>    `locate libgcj.jar'
>    If that doesn't work, try `locate libgcj.zip'.
>
> ...it was the 2nd suggestion, locating libgcj.zip (in /usr/share/). My
> guess is I have jikes and a Sun version.
>
> Anyway, this is one of those trivia items I am going to save a copy of.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

I feel like I'm back in the windows world every time I try to get some
buggy jdk environment installed. Turns out that even though I was able
to install javaws, designed to help automate web-based downloads and
installs, Nutscrape couldn't use it (and it was specifically for this).
So I downloaded the manual install version of Poseidon (a supposedly
better version of ArgoUML), and put it in. Naturally, it dislikes the
argument line the start script gives, and also claims there are several
missing files. Now I can go and download a whole new jdk, which I might
try another day, but this in turn will break other java applications I
believe. I have to gripe about the java trends for end user
applications, the java environments themselves are running into that
state where there are so many of them, and they all seem to step on each
other or break something, that some java apps just can't be run without
multiple machines (because they all have their incompatible java
environment requirements). The big reason I never installed Oracle 8i is
because it also has this problem. I would love to just rip out all java
from my machine, and install a single working version...is that possible
on RH 7.1?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com