[lug] KRUD initrd.img boot failure

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Oct 16 13:48:46 MDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 06:23:45AM -0600, Michael Deck wrote:
>and a recent mobo (Asus A7V) transplant. However, I can boot Mandrake 7.2 CD
>just fine and get as far as the challenge for the license (pretty deep into
>graphical install).

The difference likely being that KRUD is on 700MB CDs.  Some drives (mostly
much older, probably 1X CD drives) can't read them.  We've had a handful of
people with this problem, but the *VAST* majority of drives don't have this
problem and we've kind of needed the space in the past...

But you said it wouldn't boot the floppy either?  Hmm...

>I'm not dead-set on installing from CD and I have some free HDD space to play
>with, so if there is another alternative here, I'd be happy with that. What
>I'm trying to do is replace my Mdk7.2 system with KRUD. After that I can just
>do upgrades from KRUD so the hardware wierdness may not matter.

Well, if the CDs can be copied to a disc partition, you can install from
that...  I think the 7.1 installer wants the ISOs directly to be available,
rather than just the files in the file-system.  Use "dd" to suck the full
images off.

Alternately, there's a net install.  Just copy both CDs into the same
directory and use NFS, FTP, or HTTP to snag from there.

Sean
--
 It's in that place where I put that thing that time.
                 -- The Phantom Phreak, _Hackers_