[lug] DNS problems

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Tue Oct 16 14:04:54 MDT 2001

Second network problem (as previously threatened). This may or may not be
related to the error messages I'm seeing at boot time, described in my other
message.

I'm running KRUD 10/2001.

My laptop computer migrates between the LAN at work and my LAN at home. The
LAN at work uses DHCP and currently consists mostly of Win 98 and Win2K
boxes. (That is beginning to change.)

At home, I had been using hosts files, etc.

Both LANs were using the 192.168.1.* private subnet IP range until yesterday.
I am in the process of changing my home network to a different subnet to make
things less confusing. (anyone know how to change the subnet of a LinkSys
3-port printserver? the setup tools insist that the printserver and the pc
setting it up have to be on the same subnet, which makes it hard to move it.)

Using the nameservers and DHCP settings it receives at work, my laptop is
able to contact the general internet (or you would not be reading this...)
The windows machines on the lan are able to see my samba server, by name and
ip address.

I am not able to find any of the other machines on the local segment by name
from the dns servers, (ping or nslookup) not even my own machine, but I'm
able to ping them by their IP addresses. Adding them to my hosts file lets me
get to them by name (which is why I want to change my home net address
segment).

I would appreciate ideas for what may be going wrong in my interactions with
the DNS servers, and how to fix it.

Note: I cannot ping the DNS servers, but I seem able to access them, since I
can websurf and send and receive email. My boss thinks his ISP,
webaccess.net, keeps things locked down for seccurity reasons. Is it possible
they are doing something odd on the assumption that they are only serving
Microsoft clients?

Also, Is there a samba command that will list the available shares on remote
machine? I'm drowning in documentation and developing mental blocks.

Gateway: 216.241.187.193
Netmask :255.255.255.192 (If this needs to be set manually, where should this
be set? there doesn't seem any place appropriate in linuxconf when running
dhcp)
DNS servers:
216.241.161.5
216.241.161.4