[lug] PalmPilot StarOffice Schedler Problem

Bob Collins bcollins at fpcc.net
Wed Oct 17 18:23:32 MDT 2001

"Jeffery D. Collins" wrote:

Thanks Jeff.

I was had to change the permissions on /dev/ttyS0 not /dev/ttys0.

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 10:37:03PM -0600, Bob Collins wrote:
> > I have been able to sync StarOffice Scheduler to my Palmpilot for about
> > a year.
> >
> > Several weeks ago, I accidentally shut my laptop off with out logging
> > out.  Fsck ran when I booted up and fixed some problems.  I got an error
> > from a kde configuration file which I deleted and things seem to be OK.
> > This is the only thing I can think of that may have caused my problem,
> > but you know how that goes.
> >
> > I tried to sync my PalmPilot today.  It timed out.  I went into
> > Schedule; Tools; PalmPilot Hotsync Configuration and saw "Place port in
> > synchronization readiness" not checked.  I check it and clicked OK.
> > This gave me the StarOffice 5.2 error "StarOffice Sync could not find
> > the interface given.  Please check the settings."  Port = /dev/pilot &
> > Baud = 9600.
>
> It sounds like a serial port problem.
>
> You should find that /dev/pilot is a symbolic link to one of the
> serial ports, such as /dev/ttyS0.  Since your modem works, check to
> see that /dev/pilot matches that of the modem port.  Check
> permissions on the port to ensure your application has rw access.
> Occasionally I find that some applications narrow the permissions.
>
> --
> Jeffery Collins (http://www.boulder.net/~jcollins)

Regards, Bob Collins
        I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves
        me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country.
        As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and
        an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money
        power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign...
        until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Repub-
        lic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the
        safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of
        war.
                        --President Abraham Lincoln, 1846