[lug] RH Linux download + hdparm

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Oct 18 13:17:54 MDT 2001

Which brings up a really under appreciated point. Just because the interface
is rated at a certain speed it doesn't mean the drive can do anything like
that kind of speed on sustained reads or writes.

A good example is Ultra-160 SCSI drives. Generally, the drives cannot read
or write more than 20-25MB second. Period. End of sentence. Look at the
sustained throughput rate specification if you want to find out what you can
realistically do with a drive.

I just took a peek at a MAXTOR spec and see that they don't even report this
number. I know IBM 10K Ultra-160 drives are something like 22MB/Sec. I
seriously doubt that consumer grade drives are faster than this.

So, the reality is that in a single drive configuration you are unlikely to
ever see more than 25MB Sec across the bus for sustained reads/writes.

>> for the specs on the drive, I discovered that although the drive
>> electronics has the ATA-100 interface, the rest of the components were
>> from the ATA-66 drive, with a corresponding throughput.  IOW, just
because