[lug] Unable to cleanly reboot

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Oct 18 14:24:04 MDT 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Michael Deck wrote:

> > > I've been trying to replace Mandrake 7.2 with KRUD 9-01 for the past 3
> > > days. First, I couldn get initrd.img to boot and the hardware was
> > > suspected. So I put a newer CDROM drive in and tried again.
> > >
> > > Booting worked, but I was getting sporadic failures to find rpm files
> > > during the actual install. Each of these install attempts left the system
> > > in a more or less unusable state. I did go back and re-install Mandrake
> > > from CD successfully but it has many older RPMs and (unfortunately) at
> > > some point I trashed /usr so my various patches and updates were lost.
> > > Sigh.
> > >
> > > This morning I figured out how to do a hard-disk based install and tried
> > > that. This particular box can't successfully copy the CD's but I was able
> > > to us another Linux box to copy them into ISO images and then upload them
> > > to the target system. Voila!, I thought, and I (once again) commenced the
> > > KRUD installation. Text mode, but it got done.

Grasping at straws here, but Mandrake and KRUD are basically RedHat
derivatives.  I'd guess that the installation process would be pretty much
the same for each of these.  If you can install Mandrake from the CDROM
drive and not KRUD, and since you seem to be having problems reading the
KRUD CD I'm wondering if you might have a defective KRUD CD?

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)