[lug] Unable to cleanly reboot

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Oct 18 15:03:02 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Michael Deck wrote:
>
> > First I did "init 3" which sent me back to a command-line prompt.
>
> This is probably good.
>
> > At that run level a lot of stuff was still in use but there were a
> > number of services that I saw I didn't want or need on this machine so
> > I killed them and took them out of chkconfig.
>
> Not sure what this operation gained you, other than maybe you know that
> these things weren't causing the lockup.  However, that kind of depends on
> how you went about killing these processes?  I'm not familiar with
> chkconfig is this a RedHat utility (I'm mostly a Debian user).

chkconfig is a utility script for /etc/rc.d/init.d/ scripts. It can add
or remove the proper symbolic links, or list them. Plus it does some
cleanup.

> > Then I did "init 2" and that killed a few more services. I did lsof on
> > all the partitions again and, after killing some services manually,
> > saw that only 'login', 'bash', and 'lsof' were using files on
> > /dev/hda6. I assumed that was OK and did "init 1" that froze the
> > system.  It told me it had stopped the random service and eth0
> > successfully, then 'no more processes in this runlevel" and it's once
> > again time for a hard restart and fsck.
>
> You might want to take a look at /etc/init.d and the /etc/rc?.d
> directories.  The scripts that start and stop the services should be
> located in /etc/init.d .  The /etc/rc1.d directory should contain symbolic
> links to the scripts in /etc/init.d and these will look something like:
>
>    K90sysklogd  K11cron     K20exim        K20inetd    K20makedev
>    S20single

For RH/KRUD: /etc/rc.d/init.d/ with sym links into /etc/rc.d/rc[0-6].d/.
The chkconfig --list gives a tabular output format of what sym links are
configured at various runlevels.