[lug] Sean's geek travels.

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Oct 18 15:02:38 MDT 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Nate Duehr wrote:

> The ham repeater in question is not available in Boulder (the Flatirons
> block the signal, but you can use it 100 miles in any other direction!

Where is the repeater located?

> argh...), but I know we chatted privately about showing it off back when
> the group was meeting at NIST, Wayde.  You said a static non-firewalled IP
> would be available.

Yes, that "was" possible.  You "might" be able to get this at CU, but my
experience has always been that the bureaucracy of the University
community sets the upper bar for complexity.

> If one is available at the new meeting site along
> with a relatively low-latency upstream connection (VoIP needs that,
> kinda) I could bring a portable node using a couple of handheld radios
> to demo it.

I think there are two approaches.  One is the classic technical
presentation that simply discusses the hows and why's with a brief
overview of the underlying technology.  That can be done without any
hardware at all.  Nevertheless, demo's are cool and if we could setup a
mini-version of the system to show off that would be an option.  We can
probably get enough computers.  You could get with some volunteers and
configure everything a day or two in advance, and simply show up with a
working system.

> Chris R., is network available at the campus location that meets the
> above requirements?

Chris of course will need to answer this.  However, my gut feeling is that
trusting the CU network to just work correctly is looking for trouble.
My suggestion would be to work on a stand alone demo and to leave the CU
network out of the equation.  You can control your own hardware and
minimize the surprises.

> or I can work out a way to "crossband repeat" from the Jeep inside to
> a handheld radio but that's not as fun as getting to poke around with
> the machine, see the interface board work, etc.

Not sure what you mean by "crossband repeat from the Jeep inside"?  This
may be sufficient to show what is going on however.  In any case, remember
that simple working demos tend to be more interesting that more complex
not working ones.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)