[lug] Unable to cleanly reboot

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Oct 18 15:23:39 MDT 2001

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Michael Deck wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 18 October 2001 02:59 pm, you wrote:
> > > I wonder if possibly it is eth0 that killed things. This was the last
> > > thing it did before apparently locking up? While in init 2 or init 1,
> >
> > I can't get to init 1. When in init 2, if I type "init 1" it hangs. I can
> > kill eth0 without apparent problem. When I ctrl-alt-del it says "initlevel 6"
> > and hangs.
> >

> I'm not sure what init does wihen called from another init level.
> Shouldn't you use "telinit" instead?  The syntax is the same.
>
> Scott

I don't know what the difference is. telinit is a wrapper at most as far
as I can tell, and init is the grandparent of all processes. Looking at
the man page, I see no difference. In the RH 7.1 man page, it even says
that telinit is a symbolic link to /sbin/init. I'm thinking that telinit
just offers some form of optional abstraction to system designers, but
is no different from init on RH distros.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com