[lug] Unable to cleanly reboot

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Oct 18 15:54:48 MDT 2001

Michael Deck wrote:

> On Thursday 18 October 2001 04:14 pm, you wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
> > > For the most part, concentrate your efforts on figuring out if something
> > > that is running in init 2, and is set to be stopped in init 1. Get as
> > > much data as you can on processes that should be stopped. You might also
> > > want to search the /var/log/messages file for anything related to those
> > > services.
> >
> > If you suspect that you have an errant rc script/process have you seen it
> > before? The one thing that you might want to see is what has been touched
> > since the change on the system. Use ls -lt to see what is going on there.
>
> What has "changed" is basically everything. I wiped out Mandrake and
> installed RedHat. What hasn't changed is, I didn't wipe /var (because that
> has my postgresql databases on it as well as qmail) or /export (because that
> contains all my shared Samba file systems.)

/var/ contains the subsystem locking files, such as pid monitors, that
the rc scripts use. This is probably part of the problem, the Mandrake
ones will not be compatible with RH. While you could have saved your
PostgreSQL, email, and maybe a few other things, they were not
guaranteed to be in the same location between RH and Mandrake. The
/var/lock/ stuff and /var/run/ stuff is a big suspicious ugly wart here.
Maybe /var/lib/ as well. Since you are missing rpm as well, perhaps the
rpm database from Mandrake is also left over. If you can do this again,
I strongly suggest you wipe out anything on /var/ (in terms of
directories) that do not specifically contain something you must save.
Even in those cases, I'd suggest you rename the directory to something
like "pgsql-old", and adjust it after a full install. DB stuff is better
done with a dump/restore anyway.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com