[lug] RH X for S3V

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Fri Oct 19 09:46:10 MDT 2001

Thanks to a lot of help from this list, I have my box running KRUD now. Good
deal! Couple of warts still.

When I fire up a console in KDE, it complains about the absence of a RENDER
extension and then shows me *two* consoles, one has the complaint and the
other is usable. No big deal but annoying. I looked around on Google-groups
and it looks like the problem might be that my S3VIRGE card isn't suppored in
XFree86-4.0.3 which is what the KRUD install contains.

I don't need fancy bells and whistles -- this is very old graphics hardware
-- so I was wondering what's the best way to go back to Xfree86-3.3.x which
does contain S3V support. I don't find the RPMs on the KRUD disk. They do
appear to be part of a stock 6.2 install.

I thought I could just download all the X stuff from RH 6.2 that seems to
match the stuff I have now, uninstall the 4.0.3 and reinstall the old stuff
but when I try the uninstall, it seems like it might break KDE and everything
else I installed with KRUD.

Any suggestions?

-Mike