[lug] fa311, or What is all this kernel business anyway

Chris Wade cwade at veripost.net
Fri Oct 19 20:16:04 MDT 2001

Hurm.  Downloaded the driver, encountered problems.  Has anyone gotten this
to work with SuSE w/ kernel 2.2.18?  I guess the real problem here is that I
don't know exactly what the kernel is or how to upgrade it.

Netgear's latest driver is for RH7.1/2.4, the beta ones before that only go
up to 2.2.16-22.  I picked the latest beta before the 2.4 version.  When I
put fa311.o into /lib/modules/2.2.18/net/ and do 'insmod fa311', I get
'kernel-module version mismatch ... fa311.o was compiled for kernel version
2.2.16-22 while this kernel is version 2.2.18.'

So... time for a lesson in linux basics, I guess...

The extent of my knowledge/guessing about the kernel is that it is the
'core' of linux, the part that actually does all the interfacing with the
hardware.  I gather that you can upgrade the kernel without affecting much
else on your system, but I've obviously never done it.  Can anyone either
tell me how or point me to some docs on upgrading the kernel, and/or give me
some help with getting this fa311 working?

Thanks,

Chris