[lug] Netscape/Mozilla plugins

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Oct 19 23:14:10 MDT 2001

Rob Riggs wrote:

> D. Stimits wrote:
>
> >Patching wouldn't be very popular, compared to plugins. To some extent,
> >people even resist plugins.
> >
> But what you propose does seem useful and sounds to me like an
> innovation that the Mozilla team might be interested in integrating into
> the core system if you submit the code for it. Then you need not worry
> about either patches or plugins.

This is true, but creating a whole new level of hooks is a major
different job from creating a plugin for an existing API. Especially in
terms of how people will look at it for security, and for
cross-platform. What I do on Linux might not translate well to other
platforms. If I decide something like this is worth doing, I would
probably try and get the actual source patched though.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com