[lug] RFI - [HM]otel Internet Connections

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.net
Sat Oct 20 06:54:27 MDT 2001

> What type connections (modem, Ethernet) are hotels/motels providing to
> connect to the Internet for laptop business users?

Most are 10baseT, but I think there's a growing movement to offer
802.11b in older hotels.

> If any are offering Ethernet, how are IP addresses assigned to the
> connection?

My guess is that they use DHCP.  I have only set up Internet
connections for conventions, however.

I set up a booth at the Holiday Inn DIA last year.  To prevent
unauthorized use, they have a www proxy which requires you
to enter a one-time authorization code.  They had the same system
at the Hyatt in Albuquerque.  They didn't have Internet in the
rooms afaik.

Rob