[lug] RFI - [HM]otel Internet Connections

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Sat Oct 20 12:19:02 MDT 2001

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, B O'Fallon wrote:

> What type connections (modem, Ethernet) are hotels/motels providing to
> connect to the Internet for laptop business users?

> If any are offering Ethernet, how are IP addresses assigned to the
> connection?

The ones I've seen are essentially a PBX-level DSL system - there are
USB/Ethernet DSL bridges in the rooms that connect back to a DSLAM in in
the phone closet. Addresses are typically assigned via DHCP.

Last year, at LISA, it didn't take long for the geeks to figure out that
you only got billed for that day if you hit something on port 80, routing
it through their transparent proxy. Very quickly, almost everybody had ssh
tunnels set up to their own servers. Naturally, this may vary from one
hotel to the next.

-Ian

--

If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves
upon execution.

					--Eric Jorgensen