[lug] SSSCA to make all open source software illegal

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Oct 20 23:07:46 MDT 2001

Dan Kuester wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, John Starkey wrote:
>
> > Thus spake Scott Herod (herod at dimensional.com):
> >

> > > As much as it pains me to say so, our Republican Senators might
> > > be receptive to letters.  I believe that the Camera posts their
> > > s-mail addresses in the Sunday paper.
> >
> > US Politics have never been my strong point. Isn't this a committee based issue? I think I remember a reference to committee-passed bill. If so, will we need a local that has clout in or around this committee?
> >
> > I think it's evident that it's a non-geek pushing a geek bill in a government that wouldn't have even allowed something like this before 1933? Ref: LJP's and D Stimits posts.
> >

> I don't believe it's possible, assuming that our legislature follows
> standard parliamentary procedures, to pass a bill with a committee.  The
> only thing the committee can decide is whether or not the bill goes to the
> floor.  This may be to the advantage of open-source advocates, since there
> are two ways that the bill could be killed in a given legislative body -
> in committee or in a flat out vote - and one way that it could be passed.
>
> One can only hope that the bill will be killed somehow.  Obviously.

My fear is that someone will arrange for it to ride along with another
bill that people are truly concerned about needing to pass. E.G., some
of the anti-terrorist stuff, or aid relief. In order to get it through,
if this was riding along with it, it could be voted in anyway. It's
really typical for someone to try to sneak a smaller issue bill in as a
rider with something else that is more public.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com