[lug] SSSCA to make all open source software illegal

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Oct 23 00:45:40 MDT 2001

I don't suppose anyone has an email address for George Lucas' companies,
e.g., Industrial Light and Magic? I saw a job email, but nothing else
(now there's a place I'd *love* to work). They have been switching from
SGI/IRIX to x86/Linux for a long time, I think almost everything they do
that takes lots of cpu horsepower is done on Linux now. I'd like to
point someone there at the fact that if SSSCA passes, they won't be able
to legally use Linux even with their own media. And their port of Maya
to Linux will be thrown in the toilet. Purchasers of their $8000 product
will have to toss it in the trash. I think maybe George Lucas is in a
rather unique position, not only does he have money and reason to fight
SSSCA, he is also one of the "rogues" of the entertainment industry (at
least historically). I'd bet that he could get together with IBM and
have some influence.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com