[lug] SSSCA to make all open source software illegal

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Oct 23 12:58:20 MDT 2001

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> I sent an email to the PR contact at for the George Lucas companies.
> Hope he reads it. Imagine a company that sells software for
> $8000/license and the customers must throw it in the trash, and has to
> throw away the most productive special effects software in the world. I
> sure hope he turns into a pack of killer bees.

Can't hurt to at least let them know that there may be a problem.

The alternative scenario may be that people won't care until the law gets
passed and someone gets bit.  With luck that would be like taking a
baseball bat to a hornets nest.  This thing just doesn't seem enforceable
to me.  That was also the response I got from some non-Linux people at
lunch.  My guess is that little obvious may happen until the pain or
irritation factor gets big enough to get everyone's attention.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)